Generator in Bonnet of G-Wiz

G-Wiz owners or potential owners look here for your forum
Graham Hudson

Generator in Bonnet of G-Wiz

Postby Graham Hudson » Mon May 12, 2008 4:59 pm

I am sure I read somewhere of a G-Wiz where the owner had fitted a generator, presumably to increase the range or get home in an emergency. I was contemplating the same thing but need a bit of help. e.g. if I connect a generator with say a 1kW max output to charge the flooded lead/acid batteries which require 3kW fror the first part of the charging cycle, what will happen. Will it just take longer to charge or will I cause some damage to the car or generator? The problems with the larger output generators is their size and physical weight I think. Would appreciate your advice.
Graham

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:12 am

Hi,

The converted vehicle is here http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/wordpress/?page_id=29.

I think that if you use a 1kW mains generator but the vehicle wants 3kW initially then the generator will trip out.

I think that the maximum current on a charger can be limited to be within the capacity of the mains supply, but you probably wouldn't want to modify your existing charger as that will slow down your recharge from the mains. Options would thus be (i) carry 2 chargers (one with standard settings for mains use and one within lower current for generator use) or (ii) make the charger dual rate.

I haven't taken a charger apart but maximum current may well be set by an internal resistor. You could have a switch to select between 2 different resistors. I suspect that charge current is restricted in the UK (for 13 Amp sockets) versus the native Indian 15 Amp sockets.

Tim

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:12 am

The guy in question who fitted the generator, Martin, is a really nice chap and I'm sure wouldn't mind you contacting him to ask more information.

Regards

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Return to “G-Wiz”