Blood... sorry, Blingo heater

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
chatwindows

Blood... sorry, Blingo heater

Postby chatwindows » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Well, it's a sure sign that winter is approaching. The heater has been fine all year. I switch it on periodically & put up with the windows open until I am satisfied that everything is fine. I even bought some "Dry Fuel" & dosed the tank. Great. Now! Time to use it on those chilly mornings. Bugger! Worked fine recently even though it went cold on me a couple of times. So, I got to using it only whilst moving, reckoning that the vibration might help the dosing pump. Great. Today, went to the woods to walk the dog, heater did not start. Pump not ticking. Tried a trick that has worked before. Foot pump & a piece of rag in the filler orifice. Nothing. Now even after trying Chris Bs number 6 terminal trick I still have no ticking pump & even less fuel at the end of the pipe after disconnecting from the heater. Tried **$$&&** tapping the pump after eventually finding it, just in case the shuttle was sticking. Nuthin! Do you think I need to remove the pump & strip it down. If so, is there a simple way of getting it out, or is it as I think it is, nearly impossible with the axle in place. Who was the cretin who decided to put it there? Surely a foot forward would have been just as easy but oh so much more accessible. Sometimes I wonders... Chatwindows

Grumpy-b

Re: Blood... sorry, Blingo heater

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 am

You dont just apply power to pin 6. The pump doesnt just run. It is basically a simple solenoid giving a measured amount of fuel each time it has power connected and disconnected. Each time you connect and disconnect you will hear a tick. Each tick is about 9 or 11ccs of fuel.

If the pump still doesnt seen to be clicking, they can get stuck. Attack the pump furiously from the outside shocking it into action.
As it is in such a bad location I have used a length of bar (long socket extension) against the pump housing and taped it a few times. Then repeated the multiple connection of 12 v to pin 6.

Getting the pump out is a lot easier with the fuel tank out. Be careful as the filler hose is so low it holds quite a bit of fuel. Best to place a pan / tray under the whole area and disconnect the various hose clips. You probably wont get away without wearing some of the fuel though.

Grumpy-b

chatwindows

Re: Blood... sorry, Blingo heater

Postby chatwindows » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, went through all the flashing connection business. I used to have a garage in the old days of SU & Bendix pumps, so am aware of the pulsing thingy. I also tried & succeeded with tapping the pulse pump body, all to no avail. Got myself geared up to borrow a garage friends ramp to take the pump off to clean it. I had tried the flashing light test which was OK. Anyway, I had to go to Bristol yesterday in all that rain, so borrowed the wifes Yaris & left the Blingo on the drive. Due to the weather, she did not use the van. Took the dog for a walk this morning. Going down the road the windows misted up so decided to use the fan to help. Purely by action association, as I switched the fan on, I pressed the furnace button. Just then the island was approaching, or should I say I was approaching it!. Anyway, I needed my wits about me & drove around the island, joined the traffic & waited until I was clear, onto the country road down to the woods. To my surprise I now noticed warm air. Bloody heater is working fine*******! I switched it off & on a couple of times to satisfy myself. Perfect. The pump is clicking away nicely. Conclusion? Perhaps it wanted a rest. Sometimes my ead urts! chatwindows.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”