Watering Pipework

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
vincent7

Watering Pipework

Postby vincent7 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi,

The farmers have got me. I had to drive across an agricultural slurry pipe which was crossing the road. (With a bit of a clunk). Following this when I charged I noticed a damp patch on the ground. Today I got a battery topup light and also notice a patch on the ground. When I took a look underneath I noticed some small drops from 2 water pipes running from the central pipe run to the centre battery box on the passanger side. When I cleaned up the pipes there was not sign of a drop so I started the ignition and therefore pumps etc. When I re-checked I seen a drop forming on 1 of the pipes.

I think the pipe got nicked against the steel support tray.

Q1. Is this a battery water top-up pipe and if it is should I not expect to maintain water level unless topping up as I assume the batteries are topped up from the top?

Q2. Is this a battery cooling pipe, I assume if it was I would see a drop in the water level in the radiator under the bonnet? Also if it was a cooling pipe would I get the battery top-up light on?

Q3. How should this be repaired, patched, cut and joined or pipe replaced?

Q4. Can you give me a procedure for the repair?

Q5. Can the van be driven at all before the water is topped up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

vincent7

Re: Watering Pipework

Postby vincent7 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Can't see any coolant in radiator, I assume it is a coolant pipe anf the water top-up light has came on due to lack of cooling.

I am considering cutting the pipe inserting a small piece of copper pipe and re attaching the pipe using a double jubilee clip each side.

What do you think?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:28 pm

If you've lost coolent from the rad then it sounds like you have damaged the pipework, top up the rad and see where it comes out.

Yes you could replace the damaged bit with another bit of pipe.

The battery watering light has nothing to do with the coolent level or the level of the electolyte in the batteries it is activated purely by ampere hour overcharge calculator, which in general we've found to be not the best way of working out when to top the batteries up as it does not come on until 850ah overcharge has taken place, normally its suggested 500ah over charge is a better figure to work to.

I wouldnt drive the van at all if its not got any coolent on the batteries , equally if the water lights come on then the batteries are pretty desperate for a maintenance charge and then a top up.

Remember you MUST NOT top the batteries up without carrying out a Maintenance charge using a EVlite or other main dealer computerised DAIG unit

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:47 pm

The pipe is difficult to seal with a simple join. I insert a piece of 15mm copper pipe thats a good fit, then use 7/8 inch (I think thats the size) single reinforced rubber hose on the outside with Stainless jubilees. Works fine. The jubilees dont work too well on the small diameter. Just putting a jubilee on over a coopper pipe isnt very effective as there is little give in the plastic. Mine has had two pipes as I have described for nearly three years, and my Multispace has loads under the bonnet done in this way.All working fine. I do however have replacement pipes , but its a lot of work to replace one.

Grumpy-b

vincent7

Postby vincent7 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks for the advise guys.

I will carry out the repair and do the maintenance charge.

As I am new to the berlingo electrique and still not sure of it so I am did not yet want to buy an EVlite. Do used units ever come up for sale, if so were could you get hold of one?

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:23 pm

What part of the country are you in?

Grumpy-b

vincent7

Postby vincent7 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Northern Ireland, UK

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:19 pm

vincent7 wrote:Thanks for the advise guys.

I will carry out the repair and do the maintenance charge.

As I am new to the berlingo electrique and still not sure of it so I am did not yet want to buy an EVlite. Do used units ever come up for sale, if so were could you get hold of one?

Must admit I've not ever seen one unless its with a Berlingo thats for sale.

If you know of a tame garage who has a DIAG or Planet diagnostic system they should be able to enable that charge mode but TBH the EVlite is the easist way to go.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”