Starting issue

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
dmason

Starting issue

Postby dmason » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've got an 04 Blingo that initially had a few problems with the ECU, thanks to Evan that has all been sorted out.
Unfortunately it appears I have another problem. On the weekend I was driving at night and hit a deep puddle, I noticed the next day that the electrical fault light was on so I checked on the BVS forum and saw some mention of moisture problems triggering a fault, so guessed this might be the problem. The vehicle was still working but I decided not to drive it for fear of doing any damage. Yesterday I turned on the motor and the fault light had gone off so I thought things must have dried out with the sunny weather and did a short run with no problems. I charged up last night and this morning the fault light was back and the vehicle wouldn't go, when I turned the key there was the usual click sound followed by a second click like when the vehicle is turned off. I then went out and pulled the fuses underneath and there was a bit of moisture in the side pair, so cleaned them off and disconnected the 12v to reset things. After this the fault is off again now and van working fine. I am now a little worried to drive without knowing what the problem might be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

ChrisB

Re: Starting issue

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Sounds like the normal insulation fault.

Must admit I avoid puddles like the plague.

It might be worth taking the brush cover off the motor and having a look in their, could be that the seals gone on that cover and allowing water in, leave it off for a while and allow it to dry out (dont drive it with it off)

In general the ECU should shut everything down, as you have found, if theres a problem, how ever you could get a high voltage flash over which generally toasts the controller :cry: so always best to try and cure the problem or let it dry out before driving it.

My van suffers from an insulation fault when we have a humid night and can remain on for a few weeks but does seem to dry out and go out again once the weather warms up, but I do avoid puddles as much as poss.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

dmason

Postby dmason » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks Chris, What you have said all makes sense. I realise driving through puddles probably not a good idea, it was a dark and stormy night and the puddle snuck up on me!
The fault light is still not back on today and van seems ok, but I will check the brush cover, I had it open a few weeks ago to check the brushes so it may not have sealed up properly.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:29 pm

My white van has recently started doing this after nearly 3 years, I have sucsequently blown out the moror using a 8mm nylon airline , so no scratching of anything and I was surprised how much dust came out. Light still comes on though when its wet. I will wait until all is dry and then check connections and covers.

Mine did go off for a while when it was cold and dry.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:30 am

I'm still not sure of the Airline blow out method, so far I havent done this on my van, one concern of mine is blowing the carbon into an area where it shouldnt be and thus causing a flash over and bye bye controller :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Away from the brush area there was loads of dust, carbon or not its there. Sure you may put some where it wasnt but you also get out a lot of dust that is just sitting there. I was surprised just how much came out, plenty of air later and clean air comiing out I figured has to be an improvement. There is airflow from the cooling fan so thts already pushing dust about, just not so strongly.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”