Poorly Berlingo - Electrical Fault Light on - won't move :(

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
gooroo

Poorly Berlingo - Electrical Fault Light on - won't move :(

Postby gooroo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:22 pm

My Berlingo is a bit poorly...

Contactors are pulling in on start as normal. No fault lights at this point.

In any gear, Drive, Reverse, Neutral or Park as soon as I touch the throttle the electrical malfunction light comes on and the van won't move.

Ign off and on again, light is out but comes back on again as soon as I touch throttle again.

Main batteries are 87% charged and 12V battery is good.

I have fault code read the van, here are the screen shots from the diagnostic and also from the live data.

I have run an ECU self test which also passed.

The van had a brush change about 3 months ago along with a motor removal, strip down, armature cleaned and skimmed, insulation tested and reassembled.

It has been driving fine between then and now.

Checked brushes, commutator condition and connections all perfect.

Also replaced the motor speed sensor.

Anyone (Chris) have any ideas?

Regards, Simon

timpootle

Re: Poorly Berlingo - Electrical Fault Light on - won't move :(

Postby timpootle » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Strange that touching the throttle puts the light on even if you are in Neutral or Park. I would have thought the throttle had no effect then.

I seem to recall this problem being mentioned before, but I can't remember when. I will have a think. Anyone else remember what causes this?
Tim Crumpton

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Try GRUMPY B's post NOVEMBER 7th sounds familiar !!! harry morris

Contactors are pulling in on start as normal. No fault lights at this point.

In any gear, Drive, Reverse, Neutral or Park as soon as I touch the throttle the electrical malfunction light comes on and the van won't move.

Ign off and on again, light is out but comes back on again as soon as I touch throttle again.

Main batteries are 87% charged and 12V battery is good.

I have fault code read the van, here are the screen shots from the diagnostic and also from the live data.

I have run an ECU self test which also passed.

The van had a brush change about 3 months ago along with a motor removal, strip down, armature cleaned and skimmed, insulation tested and reassembled.

It has been driving fine between then and now.

Checked brushes, commutator condition and connections all perfect.

Also replaced the motor speed sensor.

Anyone (Chris) have any ideas?

Regards, Simon

Image[/quote]

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:31 pm

timpootle, I agree, strange that the fault light comes on even in Neutral and Park. At first I had hoped it may have been a throttle pedal postition sensor fault as that would explain the light coming on in any gear position and when I touch the throttle. I have checked the live data from the pedal and it a nice smooth increase and decrease across it's full travel.

harry, thanks, I had already checked the brake light switch. Also Grumpy's post mentions nothing about the electrical fault light coming on.

More to the point are the two fault codes in my screen shots. The "engine speed sensor" but I think this fault comes on anytime the ECU expects the motor to have moved and it hasn't but more worrying "Traction chopper function" which suggests a controller failure.

I have removed the controller and I am in the process of stripping it to inspect it for visual damage.

Regards, Simon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Sounds similar to my spare van, that seemed to be the motor field which has taken out the field circuits :(

What about a IGBT going poof :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Could be a breakdown of the field coil insulation or worse a complete breakdown of the field winding. I guess this could be checked out with a megger on the field coil. This is not an uncommon problem, and lesser extent just gives a error on the dash, without causing a stoppage. This can be exaccerbated by carbon dust in the motor casing as well. Have you checked all of the Brushes and made sure they are all free and moving with no broken springs.

On the screen shot the 3rd from the bottom seems to be suggesting that you are in Park and direction forward. That could not happen.

Good luck.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Simon does say the whole motors been out and cleaned out so I'd like to think theres little chance of any carbon build up in 3mths ??

Why did you feel the need to pull the motor out and skim the armature Si ??

Be interesting to see whats gone west in the controller

ChrisB

gooroo

Postby gooroo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 am

I had a brush seize in the carrier, worn down to far, the commutator was a bit of a mess.

There is only very slight brush dust now, the brushes are hardly worn at all and the comm is nice and smooth. Also the brushes are free to move in the carriers and the springs are all fine.

Chris, where abouts was your controller damaged? I have mine stripped on the dinning room table now. I have removed all the heatsink clamps and all the IGBT's look fine. I have had a good nose around, no nasty smells and no visible signs of burning or dry joints. Maybe I can take some pictures of mine in the same location as yours is damaged, might help you source the components?

The van broke down about 3 mins after leaving home, went to pull away at a junction and the MIL came on and the van refused to go.

Regards, Simon

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:35 pm

gooroo wrote:I had a brush seize in the carrier, worn down to far, the commutator was a bit of a mess.

Oh dear, lucky you managed to fix it, seen a couple go like that and they dont tend to play again

gooroo wrote:There is only very slight brush dust now, the brushes are hardly worn at all and the comm is nice and smooth. Also the brushes are free to move in the carriers and the springs are all fine.

Well thats good news

gooroo wrote:Chris, where abouts was your controller damaged? I have mine stripped on the dinning room table now. I have removed all the heatsink clamps and all the IGBT's look fine. I have had a good nose around, no nasty smells and no visible signs of burning or dry joints. Maybe I can take some pictures of mine in the same location as yours is damaged, might help you source the components?

Now that could well be very handy from memory it was down the left side (as you stand at the front of the van looking at the controller) I havent actually got the controller so I'll need to give the person a shout to find out which bits/areas need pictures taken, if you can bear with us.

gooroo wrote:The van broke down about 3 mins after leaving home, went to pull away at a junction and the MIL came on and the van refused to go.

Regards, Simon

mmmmmm well the testers saying its a chopper fault, question is , is it a feild chopper or armature chopper thats not playing ???

Theres a chance you could try feeding the Feild on its own, has to be done carefully and limit the current but it might prove if its the field thats died or the armature circuit.

Of course the controller may not still play as it may know the fields not connected ??

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Any joy Simon ?

Heres some pics of the smoked bits of mine :cry:

The yellow arrows we need to identify the actual parts to start with :|

Blown up bits of track

As you can see its not a happy PCB board :(

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”