Motor oil seals - where to buy?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
timpootle

Motor oil seals - where to buy?

Postby timpootle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 pm

I am just off to try my local Citroen dealer, but I fear he may not be able to help me, so will ask here too.

Last weekend I removed the motor from my project Berlingo to change the driveshaft oil seals as there was evidence of leakage there.

I now need said seals, and preferably a nearside driveshaft steady bearing too.

Where should I go for replacement parts? Citroen? Leroy-Somer? Local electric motor people? None sound very hopeful to me.

Has anyone been through this process before? Any tips for changing them? I see 2 circlips and differing sorts of grease/oil around.
Tim Crumpton

Jeremy

Re: Motor oil seals - where to buy?

Postby Jeremy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 pm

There's a slim chance that they may be a standard size, so it may be worth measuring the seal and checking with a bearing stockist. I've used the online supplier, Bearing Boys, a few times and found them to be pretty good.

Jeremy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 pm

I very much suspect they will be a general oil seal, I've yet to find a oil seal thats not available.

I think I know the ones you mean, output shaft from the motor ?

Take a pic and stick it up here, generally if you clean up around the seal then you should see a number on it, take that number to any decent bearing/seal company and they should be able to match it up in seconds.

Depending on how its fitted i.e from the outside, then I have found if you wind in a couple of self tappers into the seal at 180 degrees to each other and then use say a pair of pliers on each self tapper and lever it out. This will of course distroy the seal so do make sure you've got a new one. Also make sure you drive the self tapper into the metal carrier of the seal and not damage the actual output shaft.
Of course you could split the case and then tap them out but that requires more work.

Re-fitting generally can be done just by gently tapping the new seal back in, using a bit of tube that is slightly smaller than the seal carrier makes this even easier, just make sure you drive it back in square AND if you have to slide it over the output shaft or similar that the shaft is clean and free of damage thus avoiding damaging the seal as you slide it over it, feel free to bung some oil on the shaft to help it on if required.

Do take pics of stuff you do and post your findings :wink:

Drive shaft output bearing will be marked up similar and if your splitting the case to do this then you might as well drift out the bearing and seal that way.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I think you will find they are a standard mechanical part. The Frence version of this orgainsation had an article on their forum on this subject. If they can source the parts then Im sure we can.
Take them out and go to a bearing suppliers. Only buy a Decent make, dont be tempted by a cheap Chinese product, the quality is poor.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Grumpy-b wrote: Only buy a Decent make, dont be tempted by a cheap Chinese product, the quality is poor.

Grumpy-b

Yep will verify that, cheap seals and bearings are a total waste of money and time, I once inspected a cheap bearing against something like a Timkin and found that the cheap one actually had more cage than balls in it :shock: either that or they use poor grade steel etc

ChrisB

chatwindows

Postby chatwindows » Tue May 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Ref the oil seal issue. Before I retired I had a hydraulic business. Oil seals are measured thus, in both imperial & metric, the number is usually on the outer face. OD first, ie, 33- then ID= 33-21- then thickness/depth = 33-21-5 For Imperial, the measurements are in usual fractions format.
If the number is not readable, then as long as you do not damage the seal too much, & the self tapper idea is admirable, take it to any bearing stockists & I guarantee that they will be able to provide. With old seals, measure the bearing surface of the shaft with a dial caliper & take this info with you. Bearings follow the same measuring system but usually only show a manufacturers code number on the actual bearing. Again, a good stockist will measure it whilst you wait & if not in stock, will obtain one the next day.
Hope this helps,
chatwindows.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:58 am

Back at this problem after a long pause

I'll have to go out and take some more close-ups of the seal I want to change. The photos I took were all out-of-focus. I still can't see how to remove it, never mind source a new one.

I've taken the motor to bits now. Also can't figure out how to remove armature from brush-block housing. Any ideas?

More photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/timpootle/ ... 112137957/
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 am

That's better. This is the oil seal I am trying to remove

Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Ha! Got it!

Using a broom handle as a slide hammer, acting on two aluminium coins behind the plastic centralising bush.

Seal has 30 x 40 x 7 written on it. Off I go to the shops.

For future reference - plastic bush is shown the wrong way round in this photo
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:30 am

Nice one..... I do like the fact the motor "appears" to be in the 'Lounge' judging by the carpet on the floor :lol: :lol:

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”