Berlingo Watering Problem

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 am

I have just done mine at 650 hrs and used 11ltrs. I always decant into 1ltr bottles, in the winter I leave them by the AGA to heat up before I use them. I guess one loses quite a few ltrs in the switch over and flow out. I take a mental note of whats being used on each pack, then if it looks excessive I know which to keep an eye on if things start to go astray.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 am

I tend fill the bath with steaming hot water, bung a 25ltr container thats full and leave it to come up to around 25-30C, generally takes about an hour, then water the batteries (although dont actually make any notes on how much each takes, just the overal amount)

After that its back indoors to use the bath water which has now cooled enough to have a bath 8)

Two in one jobs DONE :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 am

Perhaps I dont let enough run through. I hear the water normally first, bubbling, then I peer underneath to check and then stop.

I was always concerned about diluting the electrolyte, but perhaps next time I will run through a little more - after all I am manufacturing my own steam distilled water now.

\plug
Available for sale in 20 litre (or more) quantities at 50p/litre (bring your own container).
/plug

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:52 pm

I dont think the filler design allows for too much actual dilution as in overspill, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the batteries dont actually need a huge concentration to work, or was that for something else ??

I think I'd rather allow plenty of over fill and know all the cells are watered than risk one or two suffering from an air lock or similar and not getting watered.

I've certainly seen mine during the filling/overflow point stop and start a couple of times before getting a steady stream from the overflow, that must be air in the system and thus it could be that its possible that the last battery in the string may not be getting a full watering until you get a good steady stream and no air bubbles.

ChrisB

Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 pm

I've never used more than six litres on any maintenance charge in the last three years. Usually done after 500/600ah and about 3000 miles between each. The battery watering light usually comes on at some stage near the end of a maintenance charge but not always before the charger supply is turned off. I guess the water usage is connected with the type of journeys for which a van is used. Most of my journeys are about 3.4 miles with a few hours between. The most I've done is 13 miles one way and 13 back - about three times in 3 years! So, I suppose the batteries don't get much time to get hot and evaporation is less.

Richard Elliott

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:49 am

The usage is interesting.
We do about 40 to 45 miles per day, either with no charge, or an hour and a half top up at 20miles. this gives 500 hrs at about 2000 ish miles.
We do get good temperatures especially in summer and owing to the journeys which include about 5 miles of A class busy road and 5 miles of dual carriage way including a large river bridge with between 50 and 60 mph usage.

The conclusion would be that heavier deeper discharge and harder usage would use more water. That does seem very logical. It would also correspond to a lot of the ex corporate failures when the vans were in local authority usage and serviced by Citroen. The useres were generally less tolerant of the vehicles shortcomings, and often well loaded (Some of mine were ex meals on wheels and had an inbuilt oven so well loaded) . Coupled with citroens long service interval of over 700hrs, failures have resulted.

So top up as needed, take a note (Mental if not physical) of the water going in, if it seems excessive check it out. If you get leaks from the drain holes and nothing out of the overflow, worry. If you still get overflow dont worry so much. But sort it as soon as possible.
Dont worry if the watering light doesnt come on in a maint charge, as long as its on the top up sequence, ie long periods of no charge and short periods of charge, then do the watering.
Check the watering re-set has taken place, if not do it again, and again until it does re-set.
And monitor your hours. Either relate them to your mileage, we start looking at 2000 miles, or use the evlite to check them, and dont let the batteries go over 600 hrs especially if like us you use higher quantities of top up fluid.
And lastly when topping up, especially in winter warm the water, ( I decant into 1 ltr bottles) .

Grumpy-b

kof

Postby kof » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:32 am

Hi again

Some very interesting reading there. My journeys are all urban, stop go and about 5 miles every 3 hours or so, up to 20 per day. As a result maybe the water requirement is low.

Does the maintenance charge increase the overcharge counter?? As I mentioned my initial overcharge reading was 610Ah, 670Ah after the maintenance. Thinking that the maintenace did not work I then did a further maintenance charge and the counter now reads 750Ah.

Another issue, that may or may not be related is that my pump seems to come on spontaneously! I did'nt use the EV this week but Friday morning I heard the pump running!

kof

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Yes maint charging will increase Ah over charge......

.......and pumps running on their own is a defo sign of the 12vaux battery giving up the ghost, replace it ASAP.

Remember to pull one of the pack fuses BEFORE disconnecting the 12volt battery and replace it AFTER reconnecting the new battery.

The pumps are running due to the fact the 12v is running low and the ECU is seeing this and kicking in the DC-DC converter, you really need to sort it out fairly soon or it can damage the DC-DC converter.

Be interesting to see if this cures all your odd maint charge issues, as I mentioned in post 2 :wink:

ChrisB

kof

Postby kof » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 pm

As you advised Chris I replaced the 12V battery one week ago. It has sorted out a lot of problems. Previously the pump was running continuously during the charging period and coming on spontaneously, and running for prolonged periods after relatively short journeys - all of these problems are sorted out now.

As you mentioned Grump-b the amount of water was not unreasonable. My journeys are never more than 20 to 25 mins of urban driving. I reset the water counter without any problems.

Thanks to all who offered opinions and advice.

kof

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:11 am

kof wrote:As you advised Chris I replaced the 12V battery one week ago. It has sorted out a lot of problems. Previously the pump was running continuously during the charging period and coming on spontaneously, and running for prolonged periods after relatively short journeys - all of these problems are sorted out now.

It does seem a lot of issues are caused by the 12v battery going dead, I think the trouble is because we dont use it for high current starts we dont notice it going dead on us until its too late.

Because the ECU appears to use the 12v for all its decision making, once that goes flat or struggles to hold a decent charge all hell breaks lose, the DC-DC converter trys its best to maintain it but once it goes beyond the point of no return the DC-DC unit seems to have trouble and this then upsets everything else ?

Thats how I see it, not sure if its right mind you :?

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”