Duff dc to dc convertor

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Duff dc to dc convertor

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Recently I have been working on a Blingo that had a problem with the DC to DC controller.
The Control unit came from a van with a very very dead battery. I have a spare controller so I have extracted the DC to DC unit.
The non working one is dated as 03 and there are some changes. Everything still interchanges. The unit had an obvious printed circuit board burn out in an area where the main current flows. The old unit had a large area of copper, the newer unit has burnt out at a narrow part wher ethe copper track is about 10mm wide. I have resolved this by bridging the gap with short lengths of cable spread out over a much bigger area of the copper, so hopefully it will be a better result.
My guess is that the load imposed by having a flat battery meant the DC to DC unit was supplying all the power, hence the burn out.

So if you have a later unit, and I guess its worth thinking about for older ones, running with a dead or poor battery, however short a time could easliy cause such damage.

This later Controller also has a series of supressors across most of the terminals on the top of the unit, these are not on the older ones I have.

I have photos, but havnt mastered the use of Flickr etc to attach them.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Re: Duff dc to dc convertor

Postby ChrisB » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:49 am

Grumpy-b wrote:
I have photos, but havnt mastered the use of Flickr etc to attach them.

Grumpy-b

Try www.photobucket.com as I find it much easier to use.

Just goes to show dont disconnect the 12v aux batt with the traction battery still connected, as this possibley could cause a similar issue as it now has no base line for the DC-DC converter to look at :shock:

ChrisB

PS if you want send me the pics and I'll host them on photobucket for you :wink:
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

tim.strutt

Postby tim.strutt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:03 am

Just goes to show dont disconnect the 12v aux batt with the traction battery still connected,

Chris, as in resetting the ecu to remove the "fan constantly on" issues we discussed many moons ago ?!!!

I have a sneaking feeling I also read about this on Robins, site, probably in one of the Italian engineers translated notes.

TimS

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”