Mobility scooter

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
smurff

Mobility scooter

Postby smurff » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 am

Hi guys, need new batteries for my scooter the original ones are 12v 12ah looking around as I like to check on reviews etc it seems yuasa are about the best and Lucas don't seem to be up to scratch despite the old brand, it's a minefield out there with all makes that I've never heard of before some dealers recommend going for 12v 13ah or 14ah as it will give a bit more power or last a little longer on a trip, will this damage scooter or will charger be able to cope with this extra ah, they are lead acid !!!! Thanks for any help on this

Grumpy-b

Re: Mobility scooter

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Yuasa are good, but make sure you get ones that match the connections on your vehicle. Some have spade connection, screw terminals and some are soldered directly to the battery. Get what matches yours or be prepared to change your vehicle connections. Also sizes do vary so make sure you get ones that will fit into the hole these came out from. Especially if you go for higher capacity.
Have a look at www.rapidonline.co.uk, they are near to me and hold a good selection of well priced cells. They have one series made by Haze that I have seen on a regular basis and seem to put up with a bit of abuse quite well.
Steer clear of really cheap generic chinese ones, you do tend to get what you pay for, but with the likes of Rapid, they just dont bother with low quality goods as that always comes back to haunt them.
Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:10 pm

I agree with everything GrumpyB has said, but just to clarify -

If you keep the voltage the same, you can increase the Ah capacity without any electrical problem. The only thing to worry about is physical size and weight.
Tim Crumpton

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:20 pm

I spent twice as much on a lithium set-up and am really pleased I did. They last 10 times as long and go much better.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

jumpjack

Postby jumpjack » Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 am

I read on datasheets of some 12v LiFePO4 packs that no more than 4 of them can be connected in series "due to internal circuitry limitations".
Does anybody know why this happens? And why do not all of the 12v-lithium-packs manufacturer write this in the datasheet? Missing this info, how can I figure out if a specific pack can be connected to 3 or more in series?

I have a 60V e-scooter.

dirk

Postby dirk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:15 am

Hi Smurf

It is ok to put 15 ah batteries in your scooter to replace the 12 ah versions in your mobility scooter, they are the same physical size and the weight is only just a little bit more and this means you get 3 ah extra.

This means that you will not run the battery down as much percentage wise between charges which means it will last longer, a sealed lead acid battery is capable of thousands of charges but only if you discharge by small amounts, the more you run it down the less overall charges you will be able to get out of the battery, so charge it after every use and do not try to run it down unless you have to, and if so put it back on charge as soon as you can after wards.

http://www.batterytrader.com/dfm-15-dzm-11-12-volt-sealed-replacement-batteries-p-43150.html

There is link to the 12 volt 15 ah battery, its sealed lead AGM type, you obviously need two of them, as you can see its the same size and fine to replace your exiting 12 amp hour ones

regards

Return to “All things battery related”